We love our furry friends even more than we love our blooms so we know how curious they can be around flowers and plants. Seemingly every new shoe, bag or ball gets sniffed, licked and even chewed on. My cat especially loves playing (destroying) with flowers. Unfortunately, a lot of our favourite blooms can be particularly dangerous and toxic to cats and dogs.
That’s why it’s very important for pet owners to identify which plants or flowers are poisonous to cats and dogs, their effects, as well as the symptoms to watch out for. Signs of poisoning can also range tremendously from rashes and vomiting all the way to convulsions and even death.
A word of caution. None of our bouquets has been designed to be eaten, neither by humans nor pets. Even if the flowers are safe to eat, they may contain pesticides or fungicides which can be harmful if ingested. We, therefore, recommend displaying your flowers out of reach of pets. Should your pet ingest any flowers then we advise contacting your vet immediately to ask for their professional advice.
As pet owners, our furry friends’ safety is our top priority. We’ve gathered a list of some of the most poisonous plants for dogs and cats to help you not only in picking out beautiful plants and flowers but also in choosing the safest options for your pets.
Most Common Plants Toxic To Dogs or Cats
To state the obvious first, lilies are well known to be highly toxic to cats. This includes the petals, stem, leaves and even the water in the vase. Because of this, we highly discourage keeping lilies in your house when you have a cat. Signs of lily poisoning may include depression, lethargy and vomiting. If untreated, acute kidney or renal failure may occur.
While lilies aren’t as dangerous for dogs as they are for cats, certain varieties are still highly toxic to dogs and can cause severe gastrointestinal upset and tremors if a large amount is ingested.
Toxins in chrysanthemums including pyrethrins are generally considered toxic to dogs and cats. Symptoms of ingestion include gastrointestinal discomfort, dermatitis, vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling and lack of coordination.
If consumed, this beautiful bulb can cause abdominal pain, tremors, diarrhoea, and hypersalivation for both cats and dogs.
Tulip bulbs contain lactones which are toxic to cats and dogs. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal discomfort, vomiting, depression, diarrhoea, and hypersalivation.
Lycorine, an alkaloid present in daffodils, can trigger vomiting while crystals in the outer layer of the are severely toxic and can cause serious conditions such as cardiac arrhythmia, low blood pressure, and respiratory depression.
Like tulips, hyacinths also contain allergenic lactones. Ingesting a hyacinth bulb can result in drooling, vomiting, or diarrhoea. Consuming a large amount can cause more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, violent tremors, changes in respiration, and difficulty breathing may be seen.
These colourful flowers contain paeonol, a toxin known to be harmful to cats and dogs. If ingested, peonies can cause mild to moderate signs of poisoning. Some common signs to watch for would be gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
Wisteria poisoning symptoms may vary depending on the amount and part consumed. The seed pods in wisteria plants contain high levels of lectin and wisterin toxins that can be fatal by causing serious gastrointestinal symptoms.
Azaleas and Rhododendron
Grayanotoxin located in the leaves, petals and even pollen of azaleas can cause digestive problems, excessive drooling, weakness, and loss of appetite when ingested. Depending on how much of the plant your pet has eaten, tremors or seizures, as well as coma, may also occur.
While aloe vera offers many health benefits to humans, the latex it produces can cause problems for your dog or cat. This latex encourages bowel movements that can cause vomiting and diarrhoea which may lead to dehydration.
Other plants that are harmful to cats and dogs
- Asparagus Fern
- Autumn Crocus
- Bird of Paradise
- Morning Glory
Plants that are Safe for Pets
While a large number of plants are toxic to dogs and cats, there are safer options that pet parents can choose from. Here are some:
- African Violets
- Gerbera Daisy
- Spider Plant
- Areca Plant
- Swedish Ivy
- Prayer Plant
- Blue-Eyed Daisy
- Creeping Zinnia
- Blazing Star
What to do if your dog or cat ingested a toxic plant
If you suspect your pet has ingested any potentially harmful plants, we advise contacting your vet immediately to ask for their professional advice.
The veterinarian will need all the details you can give about when your pet ate the plants, how much was consumed, and the symptoms you have observed. It would also help if you bring along the flowers that may have caused the problem.